CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Banana Cake

I got this recipe from a "roommate" from BYU. It is easy, yummy, and presents well. Thanks Angie!

Layered Banana Cake
(thanks to Angie Gubler-Coons, who got this recipe from her mom)



Cream together:
2 sticks butter
1 C. sugar

Then add:
2 eggs
1 C. mashed bananas (usually takes 3! My trick is to freeze bananas as they go bad and then when I need them, just let them defrost before using. They look like black slugs, but create much more juice, leaving the cake more moist)

Sift together:
1 ¾ C. Flour
½ tsp. Salt
2/3 tsp. Baking soda

Then add:
5 Tblspn. Buttermilk
1 tspn. Vanilla
Mix until just barely combined

Grease and flour two 9” round cake pans. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.

**I usually double the recipe and make 4 layers because they come out rather thin. Four layers make a nice size cake. Then I usually just generously frost between the layers, but not around the outside of the cake. Makes it look more “rustic” or “artsy”!

FROSTING:
Cream together:
8 oz. cream cheese
6 Tblspn. Butter

Then add:
3 C. powdered sugar
1 tspn. Vanilla
juice of ½ a lemon

2 comments:

Becky said...

Hi Rachel! I just thought I'd pop by and tell you I made your "Peasant Bread" the other day for Sunday dinner. Everybody loved it! So easy and with all the homemade flavor.

This banana layer cake looks fantastic. I am a huge fan of layer cakes. Thanks for all the yummy recipes :)

Chelsea Wood said...

Your cake looks gorgeous. I love the sort of artisan look (not frosting the sides). That one is always a crowd pleaser. So glad you have this blog!